Monday, November 26, 2007

Busy, and finishing – but also Falling Down the Ravelry Rabbit Hole

I hadn’t realized how long it had been since I last posted – partially because I fell down the Ravelry rabbit hole. For those that don’t know about Ravelry it’s like a Myspace/Facebook on the web specifically for knitters and crocheters. It’s fun – one can post all your projects, all your books, connect with friends, be in several groups to check on stuff . . . . a rabbit hole.

Meanwhile I fell in love with the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket, (from Interweave Knits Winter ’05? And in the new book Interweave Favorites of the first ten years) found the perfect yarn for it (Sublime Cashmere,-Merino-Silk, DK weight), bought it, started it – thinking it would be a great “mindless” project to work on in knit groups and at work – WRONG. I got obsessed! I got tunnel vision! –ME! The knitter who usually has more WIP then she’s willing to admit -- . Anyway, the result was that I knit the sweater in TWO WEEKS! AND it’s stunning – if I do say so myself!The photo doesn't show the neat back feature, I'll try and get a better photo of that for my next post.



Then, between dealing with loosing our dog, and having been bit by the finishing bug, I finished the Adamas shawl that I’d been working on since May. AND it’s turned out wonderfully!



First photo is still being knit, with my usual knitting background, our smallest cat, Snowball.



I also tried my hand at crocheting, having been dared to crochet something by Amy, at the "Party Like it's 1998" at A Tangled Skein,(there was a Friday the 13th in November 1998, and Tangled Skein has a party and three hour sale on Fridays the 13th. [Next one's not until June 2008, so they made one up!]) So I met her dare, and crocheted a hat!



And my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last week. We gave ourselves a WONDERFUL party – inviting everyone we know – from all segments of our lives – church, music, family and knitting – and everyone blended wonderfully, and had a great time! On the actual day (which we share with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip of the UK – only they’ve made 60 years) we took ourselves to a wonderful, very fancy for us, restaurant in our hood – and shared a full bottle of wine! Because it was in the neighborhood, we WALKED there and back again, so we wouldn’t have to worry about driving. A lovely dinner, a lovely evening, and my favorite companion (human or otherwise).

Have several projects going right now – I’m struggling with the Field of Daisy shawl from Fiddlesticks right now – the struggle is I dropped stitches, and saving it involves A LOT of tinking! UGH. Hopefully I’ll get back to knitting later tonight, but it’s been two days of tinking instead of knitting. I HATE TINKING – I LOVE knitting! Sigh.

And I’ve already reached the it’s time for another dog stage. We’ve got a specific breed in mind, much smaller than a Golden, because much as we love the personality of Goldens, they are large dogs, and during sweet Kait’s last couple of years it became very difficult to take her to vet’s – and I don’t want to be in that position with another dog – I need to be able to pick up and put the dog in the car by myself. So once the new pup joins the family I’ll post pictures etc., but until then, folks’ll just have to deal with the mystery. I think the new dog will be my Christmas present this year. And then I’ll have a busy year, since I’ll be taking obedience classes with it for the next year. Kaitlin earned her Canine Good Citizen certificate from the AKA when she was two, and I want the new dog to earn one too.

Back to tinking.

No comments: